Owls Late Rally Comes Up Short Versus Huntingdon

Photo Credit: Owls Communication
Photo Credit: Owls Communication

COLUMBUS, Miss. – Tenazhia Hinkson scored a season-high and game-high 31 points, grabbed 12 rebounds, and recorded four assists, but the number one ranked Owls women's basketball lost in overtime, falling 89-83 to Huntingdon College on Tuesday in Emma 'Ody' Pohl Gymnasium.

The W (11-5) trailed by as many as 10 points in the game before a late rally pushed the game into overtime. The Owls battled hard against the Hawks but The W came up just short.

For Hinkson, it was her ninth double-figure scoring effort and her second double-double of the season. Two other Owls lent double-digit scores to The W's side of the scoreboard. Junior forward Qiayon Bailey put up 26 points and junior guard Starlandria Walton gave 13 points.

The Owls edged out Huntingdon in turnovers with 12 to the Hawks 13. The two teams were neck and neck in second-chance points with the Hawks grabbing 19 to the Owls 16 while The W made the difference in the paint with 44 points to Huntingdon's 32. The game was lost at the free-throw line with The W making just 55.6 percent (20-36) of its free throws. The Hawks were almost perfect making 90.0 percent at the line (18-20) to really make the difference in the game.

Huntingdon got on the board almost immediately with a 3-pointer just seconds after tip-off. Owls Keyahna Jones answered shortly after with a jump shot to cut the Hawks lead to 3-2. The W continued to trail Huntingdon for the rest of the quarter and ended the period behind 20-19.

In the second period, the Owls grabbed their first lead of the game just three minutes in with a lay-up from Bailey to put the score at 23-22. The W remained in the lead for two more possessions before a string of Hawks lay-ups tied the game at 27-27. The rest of the period went much like the first and the Owls closed the first half within one of the Hawks, 32-31.

Huntingdon (13-4) extended its lead in the third quarter, using a 17-10 run to lead 49-41. The Hawks land their biggest lead of 10 points with 4:04 left in the period.

In the fourth, the Owls grabbed its first lead since the second quarter landing 28 points while holding the Hawks to 20. The W achieved the feat by scoring nine points on five possessions. With just 17 seconds left in regulation, the Owls led 68-67. Huntingdon made back to back free throws to gain a 69-67 lead. Hinkson was fouled with 3 seconds left and split her free-throws to force the Owls into their first overtime game of the season.

The Owls were unable to repeat their fourth-quarter success in overtime play. Huntingdon scored the first points of the period with just four seconds off the clock. Walton answered seconds later to put the game at a 71-71 tie. The two teams continued to exchange points but back-to-back Hawks three-pointers with a little more than a minute left allowed Huntingdon to pull ahead 85-79. The Owls were unable to reclaim the lead to drop the game 89-83.

The W returns to action on Thursday, hosting Selma University in Pohl Gymnasium. Tip-off is set for 5:30 p.m. CT.